I’ve talked about Whole30 before and what an awesome reset it is for the body when you’ve indulged on too many holiday cookies and treats. So here we are doing our 5th round of it and I have figured out some simple hacks to keep it interesting. One of those being, don’t deny a craving! Just make it clean and whole30 approved. For example, I LOVE buffalo chicken. Actually, buffalo anything. Seriously. Put that sauce on a shoe and I would probably eat it. But the normal buffalo craving usually comes with gobs of ranch/bleu cheese or involves something creamy and dairy filled. So in an attempt to clean up a craving, I created this Buffalo Chicken Bake that can actually be eaten as a dip if served cold as well!
There are a couple of items for this recipe that may be harder to find in your area, but they carry them at Sprouts, Whole Foods, and some Target locations. The first item is Kite Hill unsweetened greek style yogurt. Their products are all plant-based and made from almonds and let me tell you, from a cheese loving girl, their stuff is G-O-O-D. The other specialty item is the Buffalo Sauce. I love using Frank’s Red Hot (original). It’s actually Whole30 compliant, but for some reason, I have a hard time finding it here so I stumbled upon a sauce called Noble Made by the New Primal and it’s amazing. They have a mild, medium and hot and they are all Whole30 approved. Those two products are pictured below.
Another thing I want to note is that I used my pressure cooker to cook the chicken, but you could easily boil the chicken or roast it.
Let’s get to it.
WHOLE 30 BUFFALO CHICKEN BAKE
SERVINGS: 6-8 TIME: 40-45 MINS. DIFFICULTY: EASY
- 2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts
- (1) 5.3 oz container of unsweetened plain Kite Hill Greek-style yogurt (Almond Milk)
- 1/2 cup Noble Made by the New Primal Buffalo Sauce (Mild)
- 1/2 onion
- 3 stalks celery
- Handful of cilantro
- 1 TBS Salt & pinch of black pepper
- Cook the chicken breasts in a pressure cooker for 10 mins. *Boiling or roasting is acceptable for this recipe* (Cook through)
- Meanwhile, dice the celery and onion and saute’ until nice and soft.
- Chop the cilantro and set to the side.
- When the chicken is finished cooking, take it out and begin to shred it with two forks until it is all finely shredded. Place the chicken in the casserole dish that you will be baking it in.
- Fold in your sauteed vegetables and chopped cilantro.
- Next, add the Kite Hill yogurt and the buffalo sauce. Mix to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper. Stir.
- Bake covered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 more minutes or until the top gets bubbly and golden brown.
This is great served hot for dinner with some crispy potatoes, green beans, and fennel. My kids even love it with broccoli or as a dip served cold with cucumbers and carrots. I promise you won’t miss the gobs of bleu cheese or ranch. It’s creamy, delicious and your peeps will never guess that it’s dairy free and whole30 approved.